ABOUT US: We are essentially an organization that has gradually developed from our love of animals. When we actually became an animal sanctuary would be difficult to pinpoint, it just sort of evolved into ANIMAL SANCTUARY, Inc., a non-profit, tax exempt, 501(c)(3) organization.
The real credit for our beginning should go to our beloved Chocolate Labradors, Gypsy and her son, Purple. They are the ones that saved the life of our first little waif many years ago. On one of our late night summer walks, they led “Mom” to the terrified cries of a little 4 week old puppy in a dark abandoned garage (later we learned the rest of the litter had been shot). He escaped death but still has “lead shot” in his thighs. “Foxy,” now 13, was the first of our many rescues.
As time marched on, it seemed as though there were an invisible neon sign in front our house, visible only to dogs, advertising free room and board, medical care, good treats, lots of toys, and oodles of love. Through the years we have taken in all comers; vetted, fed and cared for them, and adopted many out to good homes. Sadly, we have lost some who were called to wait at the Rainbow Bridge, some from old age, and some, long before their time, from disease - we were with each and every one when their time came; and they will remain in our hearts forever, never forgotten. Occasionally we have been fortunate enough to re-unite a lost dog with a distraught owner, but all too often that is not the case. Many who have come to us, have been considered un-adoptable by people looking for a pet; some have had medical problems, some have had behavioral issues, some for breed liability reasons, some have been considered just “too old,” and some simply because no one wanted them. They are here with us because the alternative would have been certain death at our local “shelter.” We have saved these and given them “sanctuary,” a forever home here with us. We are family.
Thus, our name, ANIMAL SANCTUARY, Inc., for which we have incorporated, and sought and received, tax exempt status, in order that we might solicit and accept tax deductible donations to aid us in carrying on in saving and protecting those that would otherwise have perished.
Please tour our entire site and decide how you may best be able to help us in our efforts to continue our mission. Our mission statement follows:
ANIMAL SANCTUARY, Inc. (ASI) is a non-profit 501(c)(3), volunteer organization dedicated to the prevention of cruelty to animals. ASI provides sanctuary (a place of refuge and protection), medical care, rehabilitation, and adoption services in Tennessee for unwanted animals that may have suffered abuse, or may be needlessly facing euthanasia.
The specific purposes for which this corporation is organized are to provide a needed service within the community affecting the prevention of cruelty to animals, and:
1. To provide a physical central placement and holding facility (the Sanctuary) for unwanted animals, specifically, but not limited to, canines, that may have suffered abuse, or may be needlessly facing euthanasia.
2. To operate a public service location facilitating medical care, rehabilitation, and adoption placement of animals.
3. To provide organizational leadership, coordination, and communications and to develop as an affiliate resource among animal interested groups.
4. To add to the knowledge base of animal ownership, provide direction and advice regarding the housing and health requirements of animals kept as pets.
5. To develop local relationships with veterinary service providers and local educational institutions to promote further practical healthcare knowledge of animals among the general population.
6. This corporation is organized exclusively as a public benefit corporation for one or more of the purposes as specified in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
[ASI was recognized by the IRS as tax exempt under section
501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code as a 501(c)(3) organization on